Qualitative method developed by environmental experts
Evaluation of the companies’ sustainability impact based on environmental criteria
Screening of companies from north to south of Sweden.
Selection team with expertise within environment and business
Backed by Swedish incubators and science parks
The Screening Process Behind the Swedish Climate Startup Map
The screening process and the criteria for the startups and scaleups selection for the Swedish Climate Startup Map has been designed to assess their potential contribution to environmental sustainability.
The qualitative method for screening was developed in 2022 by Linda Hagman, PhD in Environmental Management and Engineering, in collaboration with the Executive Committee composed by representatives from the incubators Chalmers Ventures, Dalarna Science Park, LEAD and Sting as well as from their association SISP Swedish Incubators and Science Parks.
Step-by-step method for developing the screening process
Set criteria: The evaluation team establishes the criteria and requirements that startups must meet to become part of the Swedish Climate Startup Map.
Search for companies: The team searches for startups and scaleups in various databases including Ignite Magic and Inkrapp. Suggestions from incubators and science parks are also welcome.
Receive startup applications: Interested startups can also submit their applications through the website.
Evaluate startup solutions: A team of environmental engineering and business management students evaluates the startups’ solutions to see if they meet the criteria.
Acceptance: Startups that meet all the company requirements and at least one of the sustainability criteria will be accepted onto the Map.
Executive Committee review: For startups whose eligibility is uncertain, the Executive Committee together with a sustainability expert will review the startup applications to assess their environmental impact.
Entering the Map: Approved startups will be featured in the upcoming releases of the Swedish Climate Startup Map, which will be updated approximately twice a year.
Company Requirements and Criteria
Startups and scaleups must meet all of the company requirements and at least one of the sustainability criteria to be featured on the Swedish Climate Startup Map.
The companies featured in the Swedish Climate Startup Map meet the following requirements:
- Location: Founded and with headquarters in Sweden
- Employees: Minimum of two full-time employees
- Company type: Registered as a limited company (“aktiebolag”)
- Revenue: No unreasonably low turnover in the last two years
- Company stage: From early stage startups to late stage scaleups
- Solutions type: Scalable solutions applicable in multiple locations
- Innovative solution: More innovative than those already on the market
- Core focus on sustainability: Contributes to environmental sustainability
Environmental Sustainability Criteria
The Swedish Climate Startup Map utilizes a qualitative method that consists of nine criteria to assess the environmental impact of startups and scaleups. To be included in the Map, companies’ solutions must meet at least one of the criteria listed below:
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions: Helps reduce carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxides.
- Sustainable energy use: Reduces energy use or increases the use of renewable energy.
- Diminished material usage: Promotes products as a service, extends product lifespan or reduces material use.
- Reduced water use: Lowers water use in areas including manufacturing, agriculture and forestry.
- Environmentally-friendly transport: Promotes sustainable means of transport, improves logistics and advances the application of sustainable fuel.
- Less toxins: Decrements chemical use in comparison to existing products or provides solutions to cleanse toxins from the environment.
- Enhanced biodiversity: Improves biodiversity through altered administration of agriculture and forestry, or solutions with less environmental impact.
- Stimulates behaviour change: Facilitates behavioural change for more sustainable options.
- Climate adaptation: Alerts concerning future climate risks such as flooding, landslides, fires, drought and extreme heat.
The diagram illustrates how the startups and scaleups featured in the Swedish Climate Startup Map contribute to each sustainability criterion. Please note that a company can fulfill multiple criteria,
and thus, appear in multiple sections of the diagram.
Moving Forward with Swedish Climate Startup
The Swedish Climate Startup Map will continue to grow as we are constantly reviewing and evaluating new startup applications for upcoming releases. The next launch is planned for the end of 2024.